I enjoy playing the French Defence as black against
1. e4, for the following reasons.
- It often creates a closed position without wild tactics
- It takes white away from the more familiar lines (
- If black survives the attack, black will likely have a better pawn structure for the endgame.
- It doesn't involve a kingside fianchetto, which never seems to work out for me.
I'm curious what would be a similar option against
1. d4. I find that when I try to play positionally, looking for long-term advantages, I often find myself in extremely symmetrical, drawish positions.
I'd like a system to play against
1. d4 that is not extremely common and is reasonably safe, and not prone to symmetrical positions.
I'm strictly a club-level player that has no aspirations of being competitive with class-A players.