In other words, after white's move, black king is not in check. It is now black's move, but any move that black could make results in check. Is this a checkmate? Is there a chess term for this situation?

  • Putting your king in check is not a legal move as you've realized.
  • Of course, if Black has any OTHER legal moves he can and should play one of them!
  • If a side TO MOVE does not have ANY legal moves, that would be a stalemate, not a checkmate (which is delivered only by the side making the check)
  • 8
    ...and stalemate means the game ends as a draw. – RemcoGerlich Mar 9 '14 at 9:00
  • 1
    Which means that white just screwed him/herself out of a victory. Oops. :) – Shadur Mar 9 '14 at 12:45
  • 1
    There are some endgame positions where stalemating the opponent prevents you from losing, so stalemate can be something worthy to achieve for the one who does. – chaosflaws Mar 18 '14 at 13:31

It's called a stalemate, which is a draw.


No, if there are no more moves available to black then it is a stalemate.

If black has other pieces which have moves available to them they must move those pieces.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.