My grown kid is looking for a chess set of his own. In that process I got curious what style the set I inherited from my grandfather is in. It is most likely bought in Europe in the period 1930-1950. The pieces are weighed.

My guess would be a kind of Staunton but none of those sets we saw in a chess store today looked like this.

Anyone know?

enter image description here

the whole set

  • I've seen exactly the same style in my chess club, so it is an ubiquituous format. Jun 18, 2023 at 7:01
  • It might be a Lardy Knight. They usually have a closed mouth, but some of them are open like this, and the knights in a Lardy Chess Set tend to have the simpler style like this in comparison to a Staunton set.
    – Nelson O
    Jun 20, 2023 at 13:52

1 Answer 1


Ok, I think I've found some convincing enough images to solidify my comment as an answer. I don't see anything that looks exactly the same, but it looks very much like a knight from a Lardy chess set.

Here's an Ebay listing for a similar looking set. Some of the details are a bit different (e.g. the eyes are rounded rather than triangular, and the mouth is cut slightly differently), but the overall form of the knight is almost identical.

It also appears quite similar to the LARDY CLUB SET listing on the Chess Museum website.

  • I had the set out (added a photo) and it looks like the proto-lardys are very close indeed! Jun 24, 2023 at 13:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.