Sorry if this question is a duplicate one, but I can't find the algebraic notation for castling. What is it?


In either algebraic or descriptive notation, castling is notated 0-0 or O-O on the Kingside (when the King goes to g1 or g8) and 0-0-0 or O-O-O on the Queenside (when the King goes to c1 to c8). See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebraic_notation_(chess)#Castling

  • 1
    Small addendum: In PGN, O-O is the preferred notation - some programs accept 0-0, some don't. Chessbooks may even have OO or 00. The official version is Appendix C of the FIDE rules. – Hauke Reddmann Mar 7 at 12:17

I assume you mean castling? 0-0 denotes kingside castling, i.e. the "short" way, and 0-0-0 is for queenside castling, i.e. the "long" way. The zeros represent the number of squares the rook travels.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.