Does the pawn's initial double square move have a special name, akin to how special capturing move that the pawn has is called en passant?

1 Answer 1


No, it's a standard move. By definition, pawns are pieces which can move 1 square forward or 2 on the first move, and can capture diagonally. These actions don't have special names as they're easy to define, but en passant requires a bit more explanation (as most pawns never do it in any particular game).

  • Thank you for your answer!
    – Rui Liu
    Oct 6, 2019 at 13:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.