I was going over an old Lichess game of mine, when I realized that I had played out the final mating position in a few other games before, as seen below.

[FEN "5rk1/p4pp1/1p5p/2p4Q/2P3R1/P4q2/6RP/4r2K w - - 0 1"]

Boiled down, this essential pattern is this, although the White rook could be replaced by any White piece (but it's generally a rook):

[FEN "4k3/8/8/8/8/5q2/6RP/4r2K w - - 0 1"]

Since I have done if before, I wondered if this mating pattern has a particular name. However, the Wikipedia article that lists mating patterns was of no help. Does anyone know of this checkmate's name?

  • 3
    It may count as a special subcase of the back-rank mate. – Annatar Jul 31 '19 at 6:12
  • 1
    @Annatar Yes, maybe mixed with a pin. – Inertial Ignorance Sep 28 '19 at 23:25

The OP had two different patterns. One is simple mate with two pieces attacking two files.

The other one is just a pin and a back rank rook mate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.