I was going over an old lichess.com game when I realized that the checkmating pattern seemed familiar.

[FEN "5rk1/p4pp1/1p5p/2p4Q/2P3R1/P4q2/6RP/4r2K w - - 0 1"]

Here it is boiled down, although the White rook could be replaced by any White piece.

[FEN "4k3/8/8/8/8/5q2/6RP/4r2K w - - 0 1"]

I wondered if this mating pattern his a particular name. However, Wikipedia is of no help. Is there a name for this checkmating pattern?

  • 3
    It may count as a special subcase of the back-rank mate.
    – Annatar
    Jul 31, 2019 at 6:12
  • 1
    @Annatar Yes, maybe mixed with a pin. Sep 28, 2019 at 23:25

2 Answers 2


The OP had two different patterns. One is simple mate with two pieces attacking two files.

The other one is just a pin and a back rank rook mate.

  1. Ladder mate (along files) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkmate_pattern#Ladder_mate_(lawnmower_mate)

  2. Back-rank mate - the king's escape from the back-rank is impeded by its own pieces. Incorporates an absolute pin immobilising the Rook. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkmate_pattern#Back-rank_mate

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.