I was wondering if anyone could identify the name of this chess piece design, or possibly the name of its designer? It's obviously not the standard Staunton set.

White pieces Black pieces

1 Answer 1


Although it is not exact match, the style of your set aligns with what is called the St. George style. Compare your set to this image from the Staunton chess set Wikipedia. An article on chess-museum.com provides more information about this style.

enter image description here

In comparison to your image, the kings, bishops, queens and pawns builds are extremely similar. The rooks and knights are not exact nor are the dimensions the same. I suspect that you have either a variation or a modernized design of the St. George style. Perhaps it is a mesh with the Staunton style.

  • 1
    Ah, yes, that certainly seems to be the general style. I'm hoping soneone can narrow it down somewhat more. This set is at least 40 years old, by the way. Apr 1, 2019 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.