Recently I delivered the mate shown below. Does it have a name?

[fen "1r5r/2p3pp/2R5/1pkPpp2/2b1P3/2K2P2/6PP/R7 w - - 0 1"]
  • 3
    As far as I can tell, the closest one is called Hook Mate (see Hook Mate Examples). But of course, there's a knight involved in it.
    – kmartin
    Apr 17, 2018 at 13:29
  • 2
    Nothing really fits for a rook+ pawn math with the king blocking off squares, that's beyond rare. Looks like he's getting swallowed by the sarlacc pit ;D Apr 17, 2018 at 14:42
  • 1
    It's hard to really name mid-board checkmates since they are so rare it might not be practical to study them, so maybe that's why there's no name for this Apr 17, 2018 at 14:45

1 Answer 1


No, it's rather unusual (but beautiful!) to mate a King in the middle of the board. Because it's rare, probably nobody (that I know of) has coined a term for it yet.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.