Good afternoon everyone,
*This is my first post on this forum, so if I placed this in the wrong section, please let me know.
I used to play regularly back in high school and stopped once I started college. I found my passion again and finally started training/studying again in the past few months and noticed there was a tournament coming up not too far away from where I live.
It’s the 7th Annual Reno Larry Evans Memorial (https://sites.google.com/site/renochessclub/lem/tournament#EntryInstructions)
I personally feel my chess has improved (definitely personal opinion), but I haven’t had the opportunity to play OTB in a while, so the majority of my games have been online.
My USCF rating back in early 2008 was the following (this was based on 46 games):
- Regular: 1,376
- Quick: 1,352
- Blitz: Unrated
My Lichess rating from the past few days have been:
- Classical: 1,748
- Rapid: 1,722
- Blitz: Unrated
I completely understand that online ratings are definitely inflated, so I’m assuming my rating is much lower than the 1,700s. I was considering entering into the tournament and it looks like I would fall under the “D” Section. And this leads to my questions:
- I regularly play 30+0 games and am definitely more comfortable with longer times compared to shorter blitz games. This tournament is 40 moves/2 hours, SD/1 hour, 5 second delay. From your experience is this a drastic change?
- If I apply for the tournament now, would I be in the “D” Section even if I haven’t played in a tournament in over a decade?
- If I apply under the “D” Section now, join a chess club and in the 2 months prior to the competition get a rating over 1,400 would I automatically be placed in the “C” Section?
- I’m assuming I need to be a USCF member before I apply, correct? If so, how long is the process?
- Do you think if I prepare for the tournament for the next two months (reviewing end-game/middle-game, tactics, and at least one game per day), I will do well? $150 entry fee is on the larger end for me, so want to be sure I justify it for the wife.
I know this was quite a lengthy first post, but its has been a while and want to understand the topic before committing. I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thank you!