I'm looking for a word that represents the piece after the promotion. In a chemical reaction there are the reactants and the products. Is there an equivalent word for product in promotion?
(In case I haven't make it clear: after a8=Q, is there a word for that queen?)

Edit: I was looking for a generic term (preferably one word) for the resulting piece, not a specific type like queen or knight.

Summarizing some suggestions
The following suggestions are from comments and answers (thank you all) at the time I'm editing this: "promoted piece", "promotee", and "new piece".

  • 1
    "Promoted queen" "new queen" "second queen".
    – SmallChess
    Jul 6, 2017 at 6:13
  • @SmallChess But I need a more generic term for all pieces. "Promoted piece" is an option but a single word would be better (if such word exists).
    – Eric
    Jul 6, 2017 at 6:34
  • I've personally never heard this described by a single word, and am not aware that such a word exists. The term "promoted piece" is what I'm familiar with. But language is fluid - if there's no word that represents the concept you're trying to describe, you always have the option of just making one up and trying to get people to adopt it. ;-)
    – patbarron
    Jul 6, 2017 at 7:09
  • 1
    The obvious one-word term is "promotee". I've never seen anyone use it in chess, but it fits the dictionary definition, so feel free to use it if you must.
    – itub
    Jul 6, 2017 at 11:22
  • 2
    @Eric well it is I who promote my pawn. Therefore, I am the promoter while the pawn is the promotee. Jul 8, 2017 at 5:14

2 Answers 2


It is not clear what you are after, if you are looking for a generic term describing a piece that was added in the game during the play then you seem to be after something that is not embedded in the game. There is no such word and there cannot be any because if there was such a word it would suggest that the new piece is somehow different from an equivalent piece that was there at the beginning of the game. But that is not the case the piece into which the pawn is promoted is absolutely equivalent to another piece of the same name and colour.

Occasionally it may be useful to refer to a piece that has just been added (but this you seem not to want to do). There are several reasonable suggestions in the comments I will just add that the Laws of chess use "the new piece" for this purpose (as in "... and the effect of the new piece is immediate" or "...when the player's hand has released the new piece on the square of promotion...", articles and 4.7.3, respectively).

  • Thanks for your answer. Yes I am looking for a generic term describing the new piece. I suspected that such a word does not exist but I needed a knowledgeable person to confirm my suspicion.
    – Eric
    Jul 7, 2017 at 15:32

Since I don't reckon any terms describing such things, why don't we create them?

New born Queen = Princess
A young Horse/Knight = Foal
A junior Bishop = Suffragan
A smaller Rook = Crow

I know I will face a lot of disagreement, and I'm not sure if people will ever use these stupid terms.

  • 4
    Aside from the fact that these are actually not what I'm looking for (see the edited question), your suggestions are awesome.
    – Eric
    Jul 7, 2017 at 16:15
  • Fxb4, Pxa4+, Sa2#, Cb1#
    – BCLC
    Sep 2, 2021 at 23:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.