Is there any name for this pawn structure?

enter image description here

  • 3
    Probably "awful"
    – user541686
    Commented Jan 30, 2016 at 20:56
  • 1
    I hereby dub it the "Cubicle" structure, since there are flimsy walls on 3 sides.
    – D M
    Commented Mar 30, 2018 at 17:38

4 Answers 4


In "Chess Fundamentals," former World Champion J.R. Capablanca would refer to Black's knight pawns as being "doubled toward the center."


There is no special name for the structure you show where black has doubled c and f pawns.


It's a pretty terrible pawn structure so I doubt it has a specific name. Actually, most pawn structures don't have a name.


There is no specific name for this pawn structure, there are just certain "elements" that it has. You have the doubled c and f pawns (arguably weak, but it depends on if they become blockaded or not), as well as the strong pawn center. Black's a and h pawns will become weaker as the game goes on and it is doubtful that they can utilize the half open g and b files to create any real kind of pressure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.